Sunday, September 13, 2009

I'm no Emile Hirsch - Behind the image (Part 1)

I've had a few good goes at shooting celebrities recently (see the gallery on mfpix.com) and I think it might get me into trouble at times. Namely, prospective clients who visiting my site might think I must be terribly expensive. Obviously a concern. Photography is always expensive but not for want of shooting the young, rich and famous. It's the value of the image and what it gives in return that should be stressed.

The client should always expect it to be somewhat costly when asking a professional photographer to enrich and enhance their services or likeness. Hopefully, rather than discouraging a phone call I would hope the photos displayed on the site would convey quality and the talent I bring for their investment.

Just for your interest and to show the story behind the "glamour" what follows are a set of photos of my rather unglamorous photo shoot of Emile Hirsh in a hotel room for the Washington Post. Notice - no rich interiors, no assistant as a stand-in/sidekick. That's ol' me using self timer to test the lighting before my 2.5 minute session.

This was for a review of the movie "MILK" in which Emile Hirsch co-starred with Sean Penn. The resulting image even without all the usual basic frills is pretty darn good if you ask me. (this particular frame was a discard)

Sometimes these things are just have to done really simple with very little pomp or ceremony- especially in Washington DC. Annie has her staff and entourage, Platon - well - he's just amazing and then there was Irving Penn and Avedon the greatest of them all.

More photos from this "set" are on my site at mfpix.com









No comments:

Post a Comment